Bad news of the day

1 min read

Wow, it’s getting depressing for the newspaper industry. Scripps just announced it’s shutting down the Cincinnati Post and the Kentucky Post. My Columbia Journalism Review came in the mail the other day, and there was this article about the serious troubles of the Dallas Morning News. And of course there are the continually released reports citing the latest circulation losses of American newspapers.

It’s really starting to feel like the industry is in the beginnings of a death spiral. Just as Philip Meyer suggested.

I’m having a hard time justifying my own newspaper reading habit. Perhaps it’s my age (50, yikes!), but I still pay for a subscription to have the dead-tree edition tossed on my driveway every morning. But I’m close to saving the money and cancelling, because I can get everything I need online now. And I’d feel less guilty about the trees used to feed my paper habit.

Any more, I think it’s just a comfort thing for me; it feels comfortable and, yes, nostalgic to still get the printed newspaper. I know if I was 30, I wouldn’t be paying for the print edition.

That has nothing to do with the news, of course. I’m as much of a news junkie as ever — but I get so much more online than my local newspaper could ever deliver.

I’ll stop the print edition. I just don’t know yet when that will come.

10 Responses to "Bad news of the day"

1. Graham Lauren
    Graham Lauren 7 years ago .Reply

Steve, there is something wrong with your links from Google Reader. I’ve wanted to read your stories, but keep getting directed through to a blank page with just a comments box. This has now happened on four consecutive occasions. Are you aware of this being a problem?

Thanks, and regards

2. Graham Lauren
    Graham Lauren 7 years ago .Reply

Steve, there is something wrong with your links from Google Reader. I've wanted to read your stories, but keep getting directed through to a blank page with just a comments box. This has now happened on four consecutive occasions. Are you aware of this being a problem? Please could you let me know if you are able to solve this, as I really enjoy your work. Thanks, and regards

3. Mark Potts
    Mark Potts 7 years ago .Reply

I’m the same age as you are, Steve, and I stopped getting the print edition (except for Sundays) a few years ago with no ill effects. And anecdotally, I hear more and more people saying the same. It seems radical after years of the print habit, but it’s not…

4. Mark Potts
    Mark Potts 7 years ago .Reply

I'm the same age as you are, Steve, and I stopped getting the print edition (except for Sundays) a few years ago with no ill effects. And anecdotally, I hear more and more people saying the same. It seems radical after years of the print habit, but it's not…

5. Steve
    Steve 7 years ago .Reply

I also think I have some remaining loyalty to the industry that I worked in for many years. Otherwise, I’d have bailed from print by now, too.

6. Steve
    Steve 7 years ago .Reply

Sunday-only delivery is a good intermediate step for us nostalgic old geezers. :) I also think I have some remaining loyalty to the industry that I worked in for many years. Otherwise, I'd have bailed from print by now, too.

7. Larry
    Larry 7 years ago .Reply

Hi Steve,

8. Larry
    Larry 7 years ago .Reply

Hi Steve, As the new media guy for a couple alt-weeklies and long-time reader of your columns, in response to your post here, I am coming to you with this question: What do you think of the opinion of Mr. Walter Hussman, publisher of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, that the newspaper industry is, in fact, sinking itself through the distribution of free content on the web (How to Sink a Newspaper)? The “if you can get it free on the web, why get the paper” mindset is driving loss in circulation, loss in advertising revenue, the death spiral of the news industry. The answer then, get it off the web, don’t give it all away, bring back/force the return of value to the print product and its content. I’d love your take on this. You may have answered before. If so, please point me in the right direction.

9. Steve
    Steve 7 years ago .Reply

Larry: I answered you in a separate blog item:

10. Steve
    Steve 7 years ago .Reply

Larry: I answered you in a separate blog item: http://www.steveouting.com/why-newspapers-should-