By Steve Outing
The idea is that any employee (or group of them) who can come up with a business idea for the company that makes $50 million in revenue by the end of 2010 will receive a $1 million bonus.
I have a couple different reactions to this:
1. Bravo, Gatehouse, for leveraging employees’ brainpower and encouraging them to think outside the box in order to take the company profitably into the future. I and many others have complained about the lack of R&D by traditional news companies, so this is a step in the right direction.
2. I have my doubts that Gatehouse will end up actually paying out the money. After all, if an employee has an idea for a $50 million business, why not quit and pursue the idea him/herself?
- Storytelling at the scene of the (insert news event here) - February 4, 2015
- Live events: Best of current ideas for better funding journalism - February 1, 2015
- A text-message storytelling tool: How about for news? - January 4, 2015
- Final days to share your news business model! - December 28, 2014
- Reboot blog! - December 28, 2014
- Brainstorm! What are future ways to fund news organizations? - October 9, 2014
- HBO has losing game with ‘Thrones’ - October 2, 2014
- A dilemma: Where to host a social-media discussion group - September 10, 2014
- Writing About the Future: A new community you should join! - September 7, 2014
- Future scenarios at work as a tool for climate advocacy - September 4, 2014