By Steve Outing
The latest from the API Crisis Summit of 50 newspaper company CEOs: not much.
As Fitz and Jen at Editor & Publisher report: a conference call about the summit’s outcome was scheduled for today, but was canceled at the last minute. Jen quoted an e-mail from Mark Mulholland, associate director at API:
“Because no reportable consensus was reached at last week’s ‘API Summit on Saving An Industry In Crisis,’ today’s press conference call originally scheduled for 11 a.m. EST has been canceled. The summit conference was a constructive dialog among senior industry leaders, serving as a catalyst for continuing conversation and efforts at reversing declining revenue and profit trends. As progress toward those goals is made, additional information will be provided. We apologize for the short notice of the press conference cancellation.”
Yes, it’s true, none of us outside that API conference room should have expected miracles to come out of a 7-hour meeting of the CEO minds aided by a couple of corporate turnaround gurus. On the other hand, what has come out following the session is disappointing, to say the least. It doesn’t exactly promote faith in the ability of top newspaper executives to lead the industry out of the mess it’s in.
I’d still like to hear from some of the API summit participants. Hey, CEOs, how about blogging of your experience that day and your perceptions? Blogging not your thing? I’d love to chat with you about the summit; here’s my office phone number: 303-543-7810. I’d be happy to take a break from my other work and blog about our conversation. Or e-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Storytelling at the scene of the (insert news event here) - February 4, 2015
- Live events: Best of current ideas for better funding journalism - February 1, 2015
- A text-message storytelling tool: How about for news? - January 4, 2015
- Final days to share your news business model! - December 28, 2014
- Reboot blog! - December 28, 2014
- Brainstorm! What are future ways to fund news organizations? - October 9, 2014
- HBO has losing game with ‘Thrones’ - October 2, 2014
- A dilemma: Where to host a social-media discussion group - September 10, 2014
- Writing About the Future: A new community you should join! - September 7, 2014
- Future scenarios at work as a tool for climate advocacy - September 4, 2014